A relatively newer breakthrough in the technological world, Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) is a security standard which makes wireless home networks secure and also allows wireless client devices such as smart phones, iPads and tablets to use it without having to access the router configuration, password or security key. In order to connect the client devices with WPS, they must be connected to each other. This means that your router and client device must be compatible and connected to each other in this blog post, we will learn how to connect your router using the WPS Wizard and the WPS pin method .
Connecting to the router using the WPS wizard:
- Before you begin, ensure that your router is connected to your computer.
- Next, open any internet browser (Chrome, Firefox, Explorer etc.) and type http://www.routerlogin.com or http://www.routerlogin.net. A login screen will appear.
- Here, you will be asked to enter the admin username and password. Nearly all NETGEAR routers come with default admin username and password credentials. They are:
- Username: admin
- Password: password
- Once you enter the username and password, you will be directed to the BASIC home screen.
- Click on ADVANCED and then, click on WPS Wizard.
- Once the page loads and you see the option of Next, click on it to move to the next step.
- Here, you will have the option to use any of the two methods (Push button or WPS PIN method).
To use WPS using the Push-button method
The push-button method is one of two methods to setup a WSP. Like the name suggests, it doesn’t always have to be a push-button on the back of the product; it can also be an option on the router user interface. It may be marked with a “WPS” symbol or a “lock with Wi-Fi signals” emerging from it. Check the user manual in case there is no EPS button on your router. If such is the case, you router may not be WPS capable.
To connect to the router using the push button method, simply click on the WPS button and follow all the instructions.
To use WPS using the WPS PIN or Security PIN method:
You may find the security PIN number on the product label, the back of your router or in the wizard itself. Once you have the PIN, you will be asked to enter it to access your router or to join a network when using a wireless device.
- Enter the PIN number and hit the Next tab.
- Now, using the WPS software, go to client device to connect to a Wi-Fi network. Once it connects, your wireless computer will automatically be connected with the network password through the WPS process.
- You will receive a confirmation message on the router’s WPS screen once it is set up.
This should set up all your devices with your router without having to enter the password every time.
Also try this video if this information is not enough.